The intrusive 12th Street Connector thats been both intrusive to community connectivity and walkability is soon to be a thing of the past.
The 12th Street Connector project’s scope of work will include the removal of the six-lane connector, restoration of the original grid of residential streets, alleys and city-owned utilities (water and wastewater mains and drainage system) and conversion of the created open spaces to a chain of landscaped public spaces or pocket parks with amenities such as benches and enhanced walkways.
Vision for potential design of new parks
- The project will officially kick off in the design phase in the beginning of February.
- Surveying and conceptual design will take place over the first three months.
- In April/May of 2019 scheduling meetings with the public and Winnetka Heights stakeholders to share project status and schedule, conceptual plans and gather stakeholder input. This will be the first of 2 or 3 public meetings for the project
- Scheduled design completion by end of 2019 then bid and awarded for construction in Spring of 2020
- Construction from mid-2020 to mid-2021.